ACKnowledgement to Country
We acknowledge the traditional custodians of the Dharawal, Tharawal, Gundungurra and Yuin nations upon whose land our Catholic schools are built.
We pay respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, past, present and future, and commit to just recognition and reconciliation in our common home of Australia.
DID YOU KNOW?
Catholic Education in the Diocese of Wollongong:
- recognises that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are the first Australians and have the longest continuous cultures in human history
- is committed to work in partnership with families and community in welcoming Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and supporting them to strive to reach their full potential and to embrace their culture and identity
how do i enrol my child in a catholic school?
To enrol your child in a Catholic School you can contact:
- the Principal of your local Catholic School
- the Diocesan Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Officer
- the local Aboriginal Community Engagement Officer
WHAT IS PROVIDED?
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and their families are provided with:
- inclusive learning and teaching experiences that value and enhance knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures
- support through personalised learning plans that are developed in partnership with parents/carers, the child and their teacher(s)
- support from the Diocesan Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Officer
- support from Aboriginal Community Engagement Officers and Aboriginal Education Assistants (AEAs) attached to some schools
- opportunities for family and community members to be involved in the sharing of culture and appropriate knowledge with their child's school community that builds respect, partnership, recognition and reconciliation
- opportunity to privately discuss reduced school fees and costs with the Principal of your local Catholic School with the support of the Diocesan Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Officer
Catch up on Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander News on our blog, Yarning Circle.
CONTACT FOR ABORIGINAL EDUCATION
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Officer
Strategic Planning & Policy
Office of the Director
Ph: (02) 4253 0844
See contact details for each of our school's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Co-ordinators/Contacts here.