Frequently Asked Questions


Enrolling my child - Where do I start?

Enrolments for all grades are accepted all year round but the best time to enrol your child into Kindergarten/Year 7 is at the beginning of the year (February-April), the year before your child is due to commence school.

Contact the school office by phone or in-person to put your child’s name on the enrolment list and you will be given/sent an enrolment form. Alternatively, you can download an enrolment package on our Enrolment Information and Forms page.

Enrolment interviews are usually held in May. You will receive a letter before this time, informing you of a time for you and your child to come in and meet with the Principal. 

Contact the school to make an appointment with the Principal if you have any questions or concerns about enrolling your child into the school.

For more information, please visit our Enrolment Information and Forms page.

Are people of other faiths able to enrol in Catholic schools?

Yes, Catholic schools are open to all who seek a Catholic education.  However, students and families are expected to fully support the Catholic ethos and values of the school, including participating in religious activities of the school.

Is there an order or priority when considering Kindergarten enrolment placement?

Yes. The Catholic Education Office has a policy that specifies an order of preference when considering enrolment applications.  All children must be enrolled in school by their 6th birthday.  However, children whose fifth birthday occurs on or before 30 June may apply to enrol for Kindergarten that year.  At times places will be limited in a school and priority will be given according to the following order:

  • Catholic children who live in the local Parish
  • Catholic children from other parishes
  • Children of families who actively participate in the life of the school and local parish community (eg siblings)
  • Orthodox children 
  • Children from other Christian faiths
  • Children of non-Christian faith

The Enrolment Policy is outlined at the beginning of the Primary Enrolment Package.

What documentation do I need to enrol my child?

Each school is responsible for their own enrolments, but generally the following documentation will be required upon submitting the enrolment form:

  • Birth certificate
  • Baptismal certificate
  • Reconciliation, Communion and Confirmation certificates if transferring from another school
  • Immunisation record
  • Passport (if not Australian citizen)
  • VISAs if applicable
  • Medical records
  • Emergency contact details
  • Copy of any court order which affects parental responsibilities for the child
  • School reports and NAPLAN results if transferring from another school


Do schools provide counselling or psychological services?

Yes. Counsellors from the CatholicCare School Student and Family Program (SFFP) work within CEDoW schools to promote the wellbeing and development of students, and to improve connectedness between students, families and school communities. Visit our School Counselling page or go to CatholicCare's website to find out more.   

We have recently experienced a significant loss in the family.  Is there support available for my child?

Counselling can be arranged for your child through CatholicCare's School, Student & Family Program (SSFP). Speak to your school principal or contact CatholicCare for more information.


I am a new graduate. How do I apply to teach in a Catholic school?

APPLYING FOR Approval to Teach with CEDoW (CASUAL)

To be approved to seek employment as a casual teacher you must complete an Approval To Teach application form. Teaching clearance within the diocese can be obtained in advance of any advertised position. For more information, please see our Approval To Teach with CEDoW page.

Where are teaching and other positions in the Diocese of Wollongong advertised?

All positions are advertised in

Do I need to be Catholic to teach in a Catholic school?

No, However, all staff are expected to fully support the Catholic ethos and values of the school, including participating in religious activities of the school. To teach Religious Education in a Catholic school, it is generally expected that all teachers are of the Catholic faith and have an RE qualification, or a commitment to obtain religious education accreditation. For more information, please see our Accreditation to Work, Teach and Lead Policy.

How do I apply to be a casual teacher in a Catholic school?

To be approved to seek employment as a casual teacher you must apply via the link on our Casual Employment page. Teaching clearance within the diocese can be obtained in advance of any advertised position.

How do I obtain a Working With Children Check?

Go to Working With Children Check for a help-guide on the type of WWCC you will need.

When am I eligible to apply for casual teaching approval?

You are welcome to apply for casual teaching approval when you have completed 75% of your teaching degree and have received conditional accreditation from NESA. For more information, visit our Apply to Teach with CEDoW page.

Where can I find the Approval to Teach application form?

The Approval to Teach application form can be found here. The application is completed online. The online application has instructions to guide you through. For more information, visit our Apply to Teach with CEDoW page.

How long does it take to gain approval to teach with CEDoW?

Generally no more than 4-6 weeks but it depends on the time of year and it may take longer if there are gaps in your application. If you have any concerns about the length of time it is taking for your application to be progressed, please email

For more information, visit our Apply to Teach with CEDoW page.

Do I need to be Catholic to work at the Catholic Education Office?

No, but you must be willing to be supportive of the Catholic ethos. 

However, it is mandatory for teachers in primary schools and Religious Education Teachers in secondary schools to be accredited to teach Religious Education LEVEL D (WTL) (See: Accreditation to Work Teach Lead for more information) if they are employed in a permanent capacity. 

For more information, visit our Apply to Teach with CEDoW page.

How long does my casual teaching status stay valid for?

Five (5) years from the date of your approval letter. It is expected that casual teachers will work actively over that time to maintain their currency. To maintain an active employee ID number, you will need to work at least one day within each 12-month period. You will also need to ensure their WWCC and NESA details are up to date as they will be terminated if either of these things lapse. 

For more information, visit our Apply to Teach with CEDoW page.

Do my supporting documents need to be certified?

No. Catholic Education Diocese of Wollongong only requires copies of your documents. They do not need to be certified by a Justice of the Peace (JP). For more information, visit our Apply to Teach with CEDoW page.


How much are the school fees?

Annual school fees are comprised of:

  • Tuition Fees
  • Building Levy - Secondary
  • SEDSO (School Enhancement and Debt Servicing Obligation) - Primary
  • School-Based Service Fee

Visit our School Fees page for more information.

See individual school websites for fees specific to each school. Find your school's details here

What about families who can't afford school fees?


While enrolment carries an obligation to pay all School Fees and Levies, Catholic Social Teaching and the Gospel imperative of a 'preferential option for the poor' means that our practice in the Diocese of Wollongong has always been to find a place for families who support its Catholic ethos and are seeking a Catholic education for their child. Families experiencing genuine financial hardship are encouraged to apply for assistance via fee concession.

Our working definition of genuine financial hardship is…a situation where a family is unable, reasonably, because of illness, unemployment or other reasonable cause, to discharge their financial obligations to pay school fees, rather than an unwillingness or reluctance to do so. Financial hardship can be of limited or long-term duration.

A Parent/Carer experiencing genuine financial hardship and who is unable to pay school fees should approach the school office to seek an Application for Fee Concession and make an appointment to see the principal. Early communication with the school regarding a family's financial situation is essential. Please be assured that your situation will be treated with absolute discretion and confidentiality and an appropriate fee concession arrangement may be made with you.

Further details regarding Fee Concession arrangements can be found on our School Fees information page, and are also included in the School Fee Management Policy below.


I can't find the policy I am looking for.  Who can I contact? 

 Contact the Catholic Education Office on 4253 0800 and you will be put in touch with the appropriate contact person.

Do schools follow their own policies or are they governed by the Catholic Education Office?

Schools will adhere to a combination of policies from the Catholic Education Office and their own school-specific policies. A list of policies can be found on the Policy Directory page of this website. See individual school websites for their own policy directories.

I have a concern about the implementation of a policy. What can I do now?

The first port of call should always be to make an appointment with your child's teacher or principal/assistant principal.  If your concerns are still unresolved and you wish to discuss the matter further, you can contact Catholic Education Office reception staff on (02) 4253 0800, who will put you in contact with the relevant staff member, or alternatively you can email


What are the school term dates for this year and next? 

School terms in Catholic schools are generally the same as in public schools.  However, some schools may choose to allocate their Staff Professional Development Days differently to others, so it is important to check with your school for exact starting/finishing times. Many schools have the exact dates listed on their school website. 

NSW Catholic Schools Term Dates and Public Holidays

Do all schools have the same pupil-free days throughout the year?

No, each school is responsible for allocating their own Professional Development Days for staff.  Many schools like to use these days at the beginning or end of term, which means less disruption during the term, and makes the school holiday break one or two days longer.

Do primary schools have before and after school care?

Most primary schools offer a before/after school care service. Some are located within the school premises and others provide a mini-bus service to transport children to and from another location. Contact your school for more details.


I have a complaint about a child / parent / staff member at school.  What should I do?

You will always be encouraged to discuss a complaint at a school level before contacting the Catholic Education Office. However, an employee, student, parent or community member has the right to report a concern about any decision, behaviour, act or omission that they feel is unreasonable by contacting the Concerns and Complaints Officer at the Catholic Education Office.


School Improvement Services Specialist Support

Ph: (02) 4253 0937