As the first educators of their children, parents contribute significantly to their children’s education and faith-life. Catholic schools recognise the importance of this primary role and encourage strong collaboration, interaction and partnership with parents and carers in a variety of formal and informal ways.
The key formal body for the engagement of parents in the life of the school is a Parents & Friends Association (P&F). By supporting the work of the P&F, parents have a vital means of showing that they support the school and culture of the school as a Catholic education community.
The P&F exists to:
- formally recognise the role that parents/carers play in the education of their children;
- provide a collaborative, accessible forum for parents to meet formally and regularly with school staff to discuss matters pertaining to the education of students;
- provide a parental perspective to assist the Principal in decision making;
- allow parents to be informed and educated about the faith-life and educational goals of the school;
- promote appropriate social contact among Parents & Friends;
- foster effective partnerships between parents, students, staff, Parish and Diocese; and
- to raise funds to provide resources to enrich the learning environment of the school.
Download our P&F Handbook
DOWNLOAD OUR P&F CONSTITUTION TEMPLATE
The 'Better Together' Catholic School Advisory Bodies have also created a rolling agenda meeting template and sample which may be of assistance to your school's P&F and their forward planning.