The Staff and Students of St Joseph's Primary School Bulli take very seriously their call to care for the planet and have recently introduced a special award that recognises those people in their community who have demonstrated their commitment and care for the environment.
The ‘St Francis of Assisi’ Environmental Award is an annual award that is given to a student in each year from K-6 and a teacher. The selection is made using the following criteria:
- Aligns their environmental beliefs with Gospel Values through their words and actions, at school and at home.
- Reflects St Francis' devotion to God through their love and appreciation for all of God's creation. This includes showing care / concern for those less fortunate, the poor or sick.
- Exhibits the naturalist intelligence. Students with naturalist intelligence are those who seem to be in love with the natural world. They like to spend time there, they thrive there, they are skilled and confident and comfortable there, and they learn best there — in short, they are nature smart.
- Demonstrates great interest in nature, the environment, conservation, stewardship, ecology, and/or sustainability and sustainable development.
- Exemplifies enthusiasm, energy, initiative, and commitment toward the natural environment, and serves as an inspiration to other students.
- Has perhaps put their interest into action through an ongoing campaign or one-time project (of age/grade-appropriate scale) that has raised environmental awareness or led to environmentally friendly discussion, reaction or change in the student's class, school or community.